There are millions of websites on the internet and everyday there are more and more that are being created. Have you ever wondered what makes a good website? If you’re a web designer, you may have some inkling of the requirements of a good website but if you’re not one, you should know about the basics of a good website. Designing is the main portion of a website, without which you can’t secure a good search engine rank. In fact, designing is a vital part of search engine optimization. Hence, here are some designing blunders that you should avoid committing if you want to create your niche as a designer.
- Not including the search box: The web is more like a library of information. Whether it’s just a blog or a corporate website, a most important thing that needs to be included is a search box. The visitor may be searching for a piece of information that is hidden somewhere in the website. If there’s the search box, chances are high that they will get what they want. If you simply copy the HTML code from the control panel and paste it into your website, your site will also have a search option.
- Poor legibility: This is yet another crucial element of designing a website. A good interface design should grab the eyeballs of the users but they also have to be able to read the text in order to grasp the information. There are some sites that use strange fonts and styles that make reading painful and if you don’t want users to drift away from your website, you should avoid making this mistake.
- No organization of content: The layout and quality of content is something that drives traffic to it. In what way the content has been structured can make it a failure or a success. Unless it is really necessary, readers don’t read through the content; they rather scan through and choose the points of interest in a page. So, make sure you include headings, sub-headings, keywords, bullets, points and paragraphs to reduce the bounce rate of your website.
- Poor navigation: Navigation within the pages of a website should be seamless and the users should find their way easily. Although there is no particular standard for navigation, it is vital for the designers to comprehend that navigation should be consistent and intuitive. In case you use text as navigation, that should be concise. Visual metaphor shouldn’t be re-invented and in case you use hyperlinks in the body of the article, make sure they stand out from the body of the text.
- Bad screen resolution: Websites that need to be scrolled horizontally are a total No in the modern web design industry. A good designer will create websites that fit into all screen sizes. The present layout is 1024*768 pixels.
For more information on web designing and the intricacies, you may visit onestopcreates.com. For achieving a higher search engine rank, avoid making the above mentioned blunders.